What is the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program?
The objective of AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is to provide ongoing assistance to puppy owners older than 16 weeks with learning of basic skills/manners. During periods of puppy development puppies thrive with ongoing learning of both new and established skills. These learned behaviors will become stronger and more reliable before the puppy becomes an adolescent (a teenager). Puppy training provides positive life experiences, builds self-confidence, teaches basic skills, and establishes a foundation for further training. This class is not designed to create a fully trained dog, but is similar to kindergarten for children and will provide a foundation for further learning.
Attend an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy class for at least 6 weeks. Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the end of the course. Upon passing the test, you’ll get an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the program including purebreds and mixed breeds.
Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medalion (for display or memento purposes; not suitable as a collar tag). You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records. In addition, so that you can continue learning, you’ll receive our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy package that includes:
- A beautiful, frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
- Ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter: Your AKC. This includes training tips and up-to-date information every dog owner needs to know. We want you and your puppy to continue learning beyond puppy classes.
The classes cover the following skills as they apply to raising a puppy:
- Collar Games
- It’s Yer Choice stimulus control game (for mouthing, etc)
- Positions of Sit, Down, Stand
- Beginning Stay
- Beginning Loose Leash Walking (the most difficult skill for a dog to master)
- Beginning Recall
- Discussions on topics such as resource guarding, bite inhibition, physical restraint and more,
- Q and A encouraged
Price: $140 includes (6) 1hr dog/owner training sessions and the AKC S.T. A. R. puppy test.
Why Learn With Anything’s PAWSable?
Puppies are learning every minute, with or without our influence. The solution is to provide an environment to make learning good manners easy and engaging in inappropriate behavior less desirable for the puppy. Anything’s PAWSable’s different puppy programs make sure you don’t miss these critical windows of opportunity. The training is based upon what science tells us about how learning occurs in the mind of the animal.