“Behavorial problems are the greatest threat to the owner-dog bond. In fact behavioral problems are the number one cause of relinquishment to shelters. Behavioral issues are the number one cause of death for dogs under three years of age” (not parvo) according the the American Veterinarian Society of Animal Behavior. “
Research has shown that the most impressionable periods for a puppy’s mental development occurs during the first 16 weeks of age. Puppies are learning every minute, with or without our influence. The trick is to provide an environment to make learning good manners easy and learning inappropriate behavior difficult. Anything’s PAWSable’s different puppy programs makes sure you don’t miss the critical windows of opportunity. We offer the following Positive Puppy classes:
Puppy Start RIGHT:
The objective of Puppy Start Right, a program developed by Karen Pryor Academy with Ken Martin, DVM and Debbie Martin, RVT,VTS (Behavior), CPDT-KA, KPA-CTP, is to provide an immediately available class for the youngest of puppies, beginning at 8 weeks, as recommended by The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, which recommends puppy classes for ALL puppies 8-16 weeks of age. This is a place to begin dog/owner relationship training and canine social skills while puppies are waiting for our more structured Positive Kindergarten Puppy class to start. THIS IS A SOCIALIZATION CLASS.
The instant availability of this class takes advantage of the puppy socialization period that occurs between 8-16 weeks of age.
According the the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) under the subheading of “Normal Behavior Socialization:
- Discuss with breeders critical behavior development in the first 2–3 wk. Research shows gentle handling increases the neonate’s ability to cope with stress later in life. · Discuss the socialization period (2–12 wk). Demonstrate handling, nail trimming, bite inhibition, and safe exposure to novel sounds, textures, and objects. Explain appropriate exposure to other dogs, species, adults, and children. Encourage clients to attend group classes prior to 4 mo of age to promote socialization behavior.
- Discuss puppy anxiety issues. Puppies experience a fear period around 8–10 wk of age, which often coincides with joining a new family and the first veterinary visit. Some puppies may start to show anxiety at this time and remain fearful even in the absence of any trauma. Use positive reinforcement with treats or toys during transport, exams, vaccinations, and handling. Avoid aversive events because those may have lifelong effects on anxiety, fear, reactivity, and aggressiveness.
- Discuss adult dog phobias (e.g., thunderstorms, fireworks) and how to prevent them. see attached article article-aaha-canine-life-stage-guidelines.
The Position Statement on Puppy Socialization by the American Veterinarian Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) states: THE PRIMARY AND MOST IMPORTANT time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life….for this reason, the AVSAB believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated. see attached article article-avsab-puppy-socialization
(please read more about vaccines in the drop down menu: Register for Classes)
This Puppy Start Right class is divided into 4 weekly class themes. Each class will be proceeded by a corresponding video the owner will watch. There is also an orientation video that the owner will watch before attending the 1st class. Because the class is a “drop-in” modular style, puppy owners can start at any time. Each of the weekly themes will include prevention topics, prevention exercises and training topics. These are all part of each of the 4 following weekly themes.
Puppy Start Right Weekly Themes
- Health and Handling
- Wheels and Children’s Toys
- Obstacles and Sounds
- Costumes and Appearances
- Price: $125 includes, 4 hrs of group puppy socialization, 5 hours of Puppy Start Right videos, a free clicker, and the Puppy Start Right book (a $25 value)
Puppy Kindergarten :
The objective of Kindergarten Puppy is to provide ongoing assistance to puppy owners older than 16 weeks but whose owners still want bits of supervised play time interspersed with learning of basic skills/manners. During periods of puppy development puppies thrive with ongoing learning of both new and established skills. These learned behaviors will become stronger and more reliable before the puppy becomes an adolescent (a teenager). Puppy training provides positive life experiences, builds self-confidence, teaches basic skills, and establishes a foundation for further training. Kindergarten Puppy owners should attend the same orientation that Pet Dog Manners students attend but if you have already taken Puppy Start Right, this can be optional. This class is not desiged to create a fully trained dog, but is similar to kindergarten for children and will provide a foundation for further learning. The classes cover the following skills as they apply to raising a puppy. :
- Beginning Stay
- Beginning Loose Leash Walking
- Beginning Recall
- Supervised play/socialization
Price: $120 / 4 – 1hr dog/owner training sessions.
S.T.A.R. Puppy Program:
Anything’s “Paws”able supports the American Kennel Club S.T.A.R. Puppy Program and Debi is an AKC Certified Evaluator. Puppies with early Socialization, Training, Activity, and a Responsible Owner will be STARS! A key component of the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is a responsible owner. The Canine Good Citizen Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge is for the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program, too. Responsibility should start the moment you decide to add a new dog or puppy to your family. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program welcomes all dogs including purebreds and mixed breeds
How It Works
When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program.
You’ll attend any puppy or basic training class at least 6 weeks. Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the end of the course. Upon passing the test, you’ll get an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program including purebreds and mixed breeds.
Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal (for display or memento purposes; not suitable as a collar tag). You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records. In addition, so that you can continue learning, you’ll receive our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy package that includes:
- A beautiful, frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
- AKC Puppy Handbook, a valuable resource
- Ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter: Your AKC. This includes training tips and up-to-date information every dog owner needs to know. We want you and your puppy to continue learning beyond puppy classes.
- Care and Handling
- Puppy Manners Training I & II
- Getting Along
- Living Happily Together
- Making Connections
Price: $120 /6 sessions including S.T.A.R. Puppy Test